Women’s History Month, celebrated every March, is an annual commemoration of the pivotal role women have played in American history. The national theme for 2022 is "Providing Healing, Promoting Hope."
The roots of Women’s History Month go back to March 8, 1857, when women working in New York factories staged a protest over deplorable job conditions. The actual celebration of Women’s History Month grew out of a weeklong celebration of women’s contributions to culture, history, and society organized by the school district of Sonoma, California in 1978. Presentations were given at dozens of schools, hundreds of students participated in a "Real Woman" essay contest, and a parade was held in downtown Santa Rosa. It was not until 1981 that the US Congress established National Women’s History Week during the second week of March. In 1987, Congress expanded the week to a month. Every year since, March has been proclaimed as Women's History Month.
Irvine Valley College traditionally celebrates Women’s History Month with a variety of academic and cultural events.
IVC and Saddleback College Events
March On, Women: Discussion on Race, Reproductive Rights and Me Too
Friday, March 11 | 11 am - 12:30 pm | Registration Required »
Join us for an exciting look at feminism today through the lived experiences and insights of four diverse women in our community.
IVC Equity Program and Club Meetings
American Association for University Women (AAUW) Club
Mondays, March 7, 14, 21, 28 | 2 - 3 pm
"She's the First" Club
Thursdays, March 10 and 24 | 5:30 - 6:30 pm
Womxn of Color Collective (WoCC)
Wednesday, March 16 | 3:30 - 5:30 pm | Registration Required »
Womxn of Color Collective (WoCC) is a group dedicated to building community and empowering self-identified womxn of color students, staff, and faculty. Womxn is used in place of ‘Women’ to be inclusive of all gender experiences surrounding femininity. Non-female-identifying IVC students such as non-binary and gender expansive folks are explicitly invited and welcomed.
- IVC Library — Visit the IVC Library's Women's History Month Resources guide to find books, articles, art images, and streaming videos on topics including history, art, film, music, and food.
- Women's History Month Virtual Background
Women's History-Related IVC Courses
- GS 10 – Intro to Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- GS 20 – Gender and Contemporary Society
- HIST 51 – Women in American History
- HIST 51H – Women in American History Honors
- HLTH 3 – Women's Health Issues
- PSYC 20 – The Psychology of Gender
- SOC 19 – The Sociology of Sex and Gender
Orange County Events
- The Women Artists of Disney
Saturday, March 5 | 1:30 - 2:30 pm | Bowers Art Museum, Santa Ana | $15 tickets
Access Any Time: Art, Culture, Learning and More
- 15 Organizations Helping Women Around the World
- Women’s History Month.gov
- National Women’s History Museum
- Biographies of Influential Women
- 40 Basic Rights Women Did Not Have Until The 1970s
- Native Women Artists
- Creating Icons: How We Remember Woman Suffrage, National Museum of American History