Main Navigation

In case of all medical emergencies, call Campus Police by calling 9-1-1. Campus Police will dispatch an officer to the scene immediately. Campus Police are the first responders.

  • If the emergency is life threatening, describe the medical emergency and state your exact location. If you are inside a building, or in a secluded area, send someone to direct Campus Police to your exact location.
  • If the Campus Police dispatcher determines the emergency is life threatening, she/he will notify Orange County EMS and dispatch them immediately to the location.

Remain with the victim until Campus Police arrive, and assist as required.

  • Survey the scene to ensure safety for the victim and yourself.
  • Reassure the victim that help is on the way. Keep the victim as comfortable as possible. If you have received basic first aid training and are certified, you may administer first aid at your level of training.
  • All Campus Police officers are currently trained and certified in Adult CPR/Basic First Aid.
  • Upon arriving at the scene, the officer will assess the need to call the Orange County EMS system. If they determine a patient needs EMS assistance, they will initiate the call, and begin basic first aid until the local EMS system arrives.
  • If they determine the patient does not require local EMS/ambulance services, they will advise the patient regarding transportation to the following locations:
    • Private medical doctor/HMO facility
    • Local emergency room or urgent care
    • Student Health and Wellness Center (HWC), during regular operational hours
    • Home

The following modes of transportation may be utilized:

  • Self-transportation (vehicle, walk, wheelchair, etc.) only if stable
  • A friend or available classmate
  • Transportation to HWC if victim is able to walk
  • For liability purposes, the HWC is not equipped to provide care outside of the HWC building. No medical care will be administered outside the HWC building

If the emergency results from an injury/accident, notify Campus Police by calling 9-1-1. They will ensure that all safety hazards are identified and reported to prevent further injury.

  • For all accidents, Campus Police or the person who witnessed the incident will complete the Liability Insurance Accident form and the Health Insurance Accident form. Documentation regarding the accident, including how, what, when, and why, is necessary for insurance/liability purposes.
  • If the victim is transported to the emergency room for further treatment, Campus Police will complete the forms and send the first two copies of the Health Insurance Accident form with the patient. This will alert the emergency room that the patient is insured for this injury and expedite their treatment. If the patient/victim has primary medical insurance, the college accident insurance will be used as a supplemental insurance policy.
  • Campus Police will send a copy of the Liability Insurance Accident form and Health Insurance Accident form to the HWC for maintenance of records. Campus Police will also notify the campus Risk Management Office of the incident and paperwork will be sent in.
  • Campus Police will have available all necessary forms. These forms should be completed on all accidents/injuries that occur on campus and sent to the appropriate departments upon completion.

The following protocol should be used for field trips:

  • If an emergency occurs while on a field trip, the supervising staff member should call the telephone operator to notify the nearest emergency agency. A student or other member of the field trip group should be delegated to make the call if the supervising staff member is unable to do so.
  • As soon as feasible, the individual in charge should notify Campus Police to complete appropriate accident forms. Campus Police will ensure the completed forms will be sent to the HWC and Risk Management Office on campus.
  • Follow the previously described steps regarding the filing of reports.