How does intimate partner sexual violence relate to other kinds of abuse?
Sexual violence in a relationship is rarely an isolated incident. It often occurs alongside other forms of abusive behavior, including physical and emotional abuse. Intimate partner sexual violence often starts with controlling behavior that can escalate to further emotional, physical, and sexual abuse.
Warning Signs of abuse include a partner who:
- Attempts to cut you off from friends and family
- Is extremely jealous or upset if you spend time away from them
- Insults you, puts you down, says that you can never do anything right
- Tries to prevent you from attending work or school
- Tries to prevent you from making decisions for yourself
- Destroys your property, attempts to harm your pets
- Threatens to harm your children or take them away from you
- Tells you that you are worthless and that no one else could ever love you
- Controls your finances
Ten Signs of an Unhealthy Relationship
- Deflecting responsibility