If YOU are feeling suicidal...
- If it is an emergency and you need help now, call 911 or contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or 988.
If YOUR FRIEND is suicidal...
- If it is an emergency and the danger for self-harm seems imminent, call 911.
- Ask them if they are thinking about killing themselves. (This will not put the idea into their head or make it more likely that they will attempt suicide.)
- Listen without judging and show you care.
- Stay with the person (or make sure the person is in a private, secure place with another caring person) until you can get further help.