Club Advisor Overview
- Recorded Zoom Session (Spring 2021 Professional Development Week)
- Recorded Zoom Session (Fall 2020 Professional Development Week)
- PowerPoint Presentation (Fall 2020 Professional Development Week)
Role of the Club Advisor
The role of the advisor is to guide the student group in the activities of the club within its relationship to the college. The advisor is central to supporting the leadership development of the student participants and helps the group fulfill their mission. Advisors have a rich background of experience, which enables them to suggest new ideas and sources of materials, and offer other helpful suggestions to enable students to maximize their experience and attain the goals and objectives of the group.
Requirements and Responsibilities of Club Advisors
- Advisor must be a currently employed full- or part-time faculty member, classified professional, or administrator of IVC and must retain that status to continue as an advisor.
- Selection of the advisor is by mutual consent of the student group and the faculty member.
- Advisors must assist club officers in planning and administering programs.
- Advisors must be familiar with SOCCCD and IVC policies and procedures, specifically those relating to governing student clubs.
- Advisors must be familiar with their club constitution and be prepared to render assistance with its interpretation.
- Advisors must complete and submit any necessary forms or documents for club activities. If the activities include funding or involve travel, the advisor is responsible for completing the necessary requisitions, forms, or Workday submissions for the activity. The advisor’s department may assist with submission of the required documents and submissions.
- Advisors must submit a summary of the club’s activities to the Director of the Offices of Student Life and Student Equity at the end of each semester.
- Advisors must discuss with the Vice President for Student Services and Director of the Offices of Student Life and Student Equity any incident or situation that may be detrimental to the college.
- Advisors must attend and supervise the club’s official meetings and activities, including business, social, or special event functions, and be present in their entirety, i.e. “first in, last out.” If it is impossible for the advisor to be present, the chaperone chosen must have the approval of the advisor prior to being invited. Chaperone must be a currently employed full- or part-time faculty member, classified professional, or administrator of IVC. Students may not hold meetings in any campus rooms without the presence of an advisor. Advisors are responsible for securing a meeting room for the club from the Master Calendar.
- Advisors must ensure that the designated club representative attends the Inter-Club Council (ICC) bi-weekly meetings and submits the club report prior to each meeting.
- Advisors must attend an annual Title IX/Campus Security Authorities training through the Office of Student Services.