The cards are available to students that meet ALL of the following requirements:
- IVC students facing food insecurity.
- Enrolled in the current semester at *IVC (Saddleback classes do not count towards this requirement).
*Students only attending Saddleback classes should contact Saddleback College’s Food Pantry
Yes, non-credit students are eligible for grocery cards.
If there is more than one IVC student in a household, each student needs to qualify for their own set of grocery cards.
The card can be used at any Albertsons, Safeway, Randalls, Pavilions, Vons, Carrs, Shaw's, Star Markets, Jewel-Osco, or Acme Markets.
- There is a limit of one grocery card per calendar month.
- You may apply for a second grocery card by showing proof that you have applied to CalFresh within the last 12 months or showing proof that you cannot apply to CalFresh. Proof would include a screenshot, forwarded email, or photo. Please send this proof to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may block out any confirmation/identifying numbers you are uncomfortable sharing, but your name must be visible. Eventually, students will be asked to verify they have completed the CalFresh application in full. If you would like assistance with a CalFresh application, please contact ivcBasicNeeds@ivc.edu
- The first card will not be reloaded by the FRC. Students must schedule a second pick up date.
You will bring the card to the Albertsons (or sister store) and use it like a regular gift card.
No. At this time there are no options for other stores.
No. These cards work like regular gift cards. You can use as little or as much as you want in any given transaction.
The physical grocery cards do not expire.
The grocery card will need to be picked up on campus. It cannot be snail mailed to your home address.
If you cannot pick up a card, please call (949) 451-5665 or email email@example.com for alternate accommodations.
No. Students can bring any type of photo identification.
CalFresh, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP, provides monthly food benefits to individuals and families with low-income and provides economic benefits to communities.
It provides long-term food assistance, which the IVC’s FRC cannot provide. For each eligible individual in a household, you will receive $234 of assistance per month.
To apply or get more information, click here
- Green card holders and permanent residents: Yes, you can receive CalFresh and will not be considered a public charge.
- Undocumented students and International Students: cannot currently apply to CalFresh.
- For more specific information on if you qualify click here