Welcome to the 2021-2022 academic year! Whether you are a new or returning student, I commend you for choosing Irvine Valley College (IVC) and prioritizing your academic goals during one of the most challenging times in recent history.
This fall, IVC may look and feel a little different. While some students might return to campus, others may choose to take advantage of online and hybrid options. In this new environment, I want to assure you IVC is fully committed to your academic and support needs. We want you to thrive.
As a college, health and safety remain our top priorities. As you know, conditions and guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the state and the county are changing rapidly. To assist you with questions you might have in preparing for fall, the college has developed a Frequently Asked Questions section on our website. Our Student Return to Campus Guide also has been updated.
Additionally, I would like to invite all students to a Virtual Student Town Hall from 2 to 3:30 pm Monday, August 30 to hear an update from me, along with your IVC and ASIVC leadership.
Our faculty and staff are here to support you in your degree, certificate, transfer, or career goals. Please take advantage of the many services and resources available to help you achieve your full potential—in person or online.
We have a few important reminders and tips for your success:
- IVC strongly recommends, but does not require, that students be vaccinated.
- The college requires that face masks or two-layer face gaiters be worn at all times in all indoor locations on campus. You will need to wear a face mask indoors even if you are vaccinated. This requirement will be enforced. Students who fail to comply will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.
- Free face masks are available across campus.
- Masks are not required outdoors.
- If you are unable to wear a face mask due to a medical or psychological condition, please contact IVC’s Health and Wellness Center for verification of disability and approval of accommodations. Accommodations will require either the use of a clear face shield with a full drape to the chest or switching to all-online classes.
- All students should self-screen each day before coming to class and familiarize themselves with COVID-19 protocols. Visit our COVID-19 page for more details, along with resources if you need testing or vaccine information.
- If you feel sick, stay home to keep yourself and others safe. Check your syllabus or contact your instructor to find out what to do to stay on top of your missed class.
- Hand-washing stations, hand sanitizer, and sanitizing wipes are available in learning spaces throughout campus. We ask that you keep yourself and classmates safe by cleaning your surfaces, such as desks and keyboards, before and after use.
- Beginning the first day of the fall semester, food and beverage services will return to campus. Breakfast and lunch will be available weekdays in front of the Student Services Center (SSC) across from the gym, and the coffee cart will be open as usual. Other vending options may open later this fall. Check our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
- No food or drink, including water, can be consumed inside classrooms.
- The bookstore reopens today, August 9. For store hours, check our Frequently Asked Questions. The in-store rental check-in deadline is August 12. The mail rental check-in deadline is August 13. Please note that due to possible COVID-19 limitations in the store, wait times may be longer than expected.
Finally, if you have not already done so, I encourage you to register for Laser Day, our new online student orientation on Wednesday, August 18. It will give you the opportunity to learn about campus resources and get involved on campus and online at IVC. Also, check out our Virtual Club Fair from 11 am to 1 pm on Wednesday, September 22 to learn more about clubs and co-curricular programs at IVC. We have lots of other classes, activities, and special events you can learn about on the IVC website.
Don’t forget: Fall classes begin on August 23. We can’t wait for the new semester!
John Hernandez, PhD
Irvine Valley College