COVID-19 Updates & Resources

March 9, 2021

For Immediate Release: 
Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Dear Student:

Irvine Valley College (IVC) recognizes that as a student, you are making great efforts to continue your education in the face of uncertainty and challenges. Students and colleges have all made admirable efforts to meet the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic emergency. However, some students may still find it too challenging to complete their Spring 2021 courses, given their individual situations. We at IVC understand this and want you to know that if you find yourself in this situation, you have options.

The State of California has granted Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College the ability to offer two options to students experiencing challenges with coursework during Spring 2021.

Option 1:  Excused Withdrawal (EW) Due to COVID-19
Deadline: Thursday, May 6, 2021 | 11 pm

With this option, you may choose to drop a course or courses even after the deadline to drop with a “W” has passed. To do so, you would submit an Excused Withdrawal (EW) Due to Covid-19 form. Please be aware that an EW is not a completion grade for transfer purposes or other requirements. An EW is used to record a student’s withdrawal due to reasons related to Covid-19 that are beyond the student’s control. Visit the Admissions and Records COVID EW webpage for more details


An EW for a course indicates that a student did not complete the course, so there are no units earned. The EW does not count as an attempted enrollment and allows for future enrollment in the same course. If a course or courses are needed for admission to a transfer institution, it is recommended that students meet with a counselor to discuss the implications before deciding to drop any course(s). Once processed, an EW is not reversible. EWs are also not eligible for a refund


  1. Students will not have their EW held against their completion ratio for financial aid.
  2. Students will not be required to repay award disbursements that were based on their unit load prior to dropping courses.

For more details, contact your campus Financial Aid office:


Student veterans receiving VA education benefits may be required to repay their awards if they take an EW. For more details, contact your campus veterans center:

Option 2: Pass/No Pass
Deadline:  Thursday, May 6, 2021 | 11 pm

Instead of a traditional letter grade, a Pass (“P”) grade indicates satisfactory (a letter grade of “A,” “B,” or “C”) work in the class and units awarded with such a grade. No grade points are assigned, however, and the grade is not used to compute the grade point average.

A No Pass (“NP”) grade indicates less than satisfactory work (a letter grade of “D” or “F”); and with such a grade, no units are earned, nor is the grade used to compute the grade point average. However, units attempted for which “NP” (as defined in Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 55022) is recorded will be considered in probation and dismissal procedures.

We strongly recommend that you discuss the possible effects of opting for a Pass/No Pass grading option with a counselor. If you are unsure if this is the right option for you, please reach out to the counseling office at for assistance.

The grading option of Pass/No Pass (P/NP) is available only for courses with the P/NP option. You can select this option for applicable courses when viewing your classes in your MySite account. After 11 pm on May 6, you cannot change the grading option back to a letter grade for the Spring 2021 semester. Visit the Admissions and Records COVID P/NP webpage for more details.


It is important that students review this information carefully. An NP grade could result in the student needing to retake the course. Many transfer institutions are still restricting the allowable transfer units that may be taken as a P/NP. Most institutions do not compute a GPA for a P/NP course. However, in some instances, a passing (P) grade is computed at a 2.0 level, potentially adversely affecting a student’s overall GPA score.


Eligibility for certain benefits such as veterans’ sponsorships or scholarships might also be a consideration. Please make sure you reach out to any programs you may be part of to determine if there is an adverse effect on your benefits.

We wish you all the best in this unprecedented semester. Please carefully review your options and reach out if you have any questions. Both the EW and P/NP form, as well as instructions on how to submit them, can be found on the Admissions and Records Forms page.


Office of Admissions and Records