Title IX: Sexual Harassment

Information for Respondent

What do I do if I am accused of sexual violence and/or sexual harassment?

DO NOT contact the complainant. You may want to speak with someone in the campus community who can act as your support person. Dr. Martha McDonald, vice president for student services and Title IX officer, can explain IVC’s grievance procedures for addressing sexual harassment complaints. You may also want to seek confidential counseling through the Health and Wellness Center or seek support through off-campus services.

What about legal advice?

The  respondent may want to retain legal counsel given the potential for criminal and/or civil action.

What, if anything, will my parents be told?

The college’s primary relationship is to you, the student, and not to your parents. College officials will only speak with your parents at your request or when there is a significant threat to your health or safety.

Can I be charged with something on campus and off campus?

Yes, complainants have the right to pursue both campus resolution of a complaint as well as civil and/or criminal resolution. It is up to the complainant to decide how he/she wants to proceed. IVC’s processes will move forward regardless of whether there is criminal or civil legal action taken for the same incident.

If I engage in a sexual activity with someone who has been drinking, can I be accused of sexual assault?

Yes, it is against IVC’s sexual harassment policy (pdfBP 5404 | pdfAR 5404) to engage in any sexual activity with someone who is mentally or physically incapacitated, and therefore incapable of giving consent. Alcohol may cause such a state of incapacitation. However, it varies from person to person. For a variety of reasons it is not advisable to engage in sexual activity while intoxicated. When one or both parties are intoxicated, people tend to misinterpret another’s sexual intentions and often proceed before the issue of consent has been clarified.