Suggest an IVC Commencement Speaker
Submit a 2016 Commencement speaker suggestion on the Nomination Form here.
Participate in the Process!
The Irvine Valley College Commencement speaker is chosen through a selection process that starts when students, staff, faculty, alumni, and others in the community offer speaker suggestions through this website. The speaker selection process begins more than two years in advance of Commencement. The chosen speaker joins a long list of distinguished past commencement speakers who have shared their thoughts, perspectives, and wisdom with IVC graduates and their families.
All names submitted through the website will be compiled in an alphabetical, unranked list and electronically provided to the official speaker selection task force composed of equal representation of students, faculty, staff and administration.
The IVC Commencement Speaker Task Force individually reviews the list of names collected from this website and electronically ranks/prioritizes the names for consideration. Following prioritization, the task force meets to review the final list which is presented as a proposed speakers list to the IVC President, who then reviews the list and makes a final choice on the basis of relevance to the IVC community, availability, and reasonableness of cost.
A suggestion for IVC Commencement speaker should be based on the following considerations:
- Outstanding achievement in an academic field, the arts, business, etc.
- Individuals who have compiled an extended record of exemplary accomplishments in their chosen business or in service to society
- Innovative and creative achievements
- Humanitarian deeds and the degree to which the candidate’s activities and leadership have touched various lives
- Extent to which candidate’s achievement represents sustained efforts over the course of his/her career
- Extent to which candidate represents an outstanding model for our graduates and their families.
- The honor brought to IVC should the candidate accept the nomination.
- There should be a reasonable chance that the nominee will accept to be the Commencement speaker.
Commencement speakers will be chosen based on the criteria discussed above. As the Commencement ceremony is a celebration of the accomplishments of our students, commencement speakers should have the ability to give a ten minute positive address to the graduating class and their families. Nominees made on this online form will be considered nominees for two years. If a nominee is not selected within the two-year period, they will be removed from the list of potential candidates. Nominees are currently being considered for 2016 and 2017 during this nomination period.