On behalf of the faculty, staff, and administration of Irvine Valley College, I am delighted to welcome you. As you navigate our website, I hope you will get a taste of who we are and all we offer to help our students flourish.
From its early years as a satellite campus, to its independence in 1985, to the present day, IVC has been driven by a commitment to academic excellence and responsiveness to students. We are proud to be at the forefront of community colleges in the nation working to ensure student success and completion rates. We are proud of our students’ achievements and our standout transfer rates (#1 among Orange County community colleges, #3 among all community colleges in the state). We are proud of the services we offer to help keep students on track, through both the highs and the challenging moments of their college life.
The faculty at IVC—who include authors, scientists, artists, designers, musicians, Fulbright scholars and entrepreneurs—are passionately committed to their students. Our wonderful staff is, above all, student centered. Our beautiful campus offers a friendly, relaxed atmosphere, and our classrooms and labs are equipped with the latest technology to prepare you for advanced study or career advancement. We stress the importance of designing an educational plan so you can accomplish your highest goals.
Here are a few good things to know about the college:
- Our student population now exceeds 15,000 and includes international students from over 50 foreign countries.
- IVC offers over 60 associate degree majors and over 50 career and technical certificate programs.
- We continue to build strong articulation agreements with four-year universities— including transfer admission guarantees—and are the key link in preparing students for transfer to the University of California and California State University campuses.
- Our vibrant honors program is a member of the UCLA Transfer Alliance Program. Students certified after completing the IVC honors program are given priority consideration for admission to UCLA.
- We have award-winning chapters of the honor societies Phi Theta Kappa and Psi Beta, and award-winning Speech and Debate, Model United Nations, and Administration of Justice teams. Diverse student clubs thrive on campus.
- IVC competes in 13 men’s and women’s intercollegiate sports. From the inception of the athletics program in 1990 through the fall of 2012, IVC teams collected 16 state championships and 29 conference titles.
- Students interested in performing will find exceptional opportunities to take part in dance, music, or theatre productions; and art students will find venues for expression and exhibition in genres from street painting to digital graphic design.
- IVC is committed to mentoring STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) students. We offer opportunities for students to come together with their peers and faculty advisors in such groups as the ASEC (Applied Science and Engineering Club); Pre-Med Club; Biology, Ecology and Environmental Studies Club; and Biology Society.
- IVC proudly welcomes veterans. As of fall 2012, 3,000 full-time veterans were enrolled as IVC students. In 2013, for the third year in a row, IVC will be officially designated as a Military Friendly School.
I know that some of you will be making the transition from high school to college. Others will be returning from active military service or an interval of time away from school. Some of you will seek to upgrade your job skills, and many others will be getting your undergraduate preparation before transferring to a four-year school. I have witnessed how IVC transforms lives, and I am confident we can give you the education, training and tools you need to move forward, whatever your path.
The Latin motto on our college seal—a posse ad esse—translates to "from possibility to reality." It affirms our commitment to help you, our students, imagine, plan for, and achieve your educational goals. We are here for you.