On behalf of the faculty, staff, and administration of Irvine Valley College, I am delighted to welcome you. As you navigate our website, I hope you will get a taste of who we are and all we offer to help our students flourish.
From its early years as a satellite campus, to its independence in 1985, to the present day, Irvine Valley College (IVC) has been driven by a commitment to academic excellence and responsiveness to students.
Today we find ourselves at the forefront of the nation’s community colleges that are working to ensure student success and completion rates. Our students are aided by the services we offer to keep them on track, through both the highs and the challenging moments of their college lives. We are very proud of our standout transfer rates; we rank number one among all community colleges in California.
Here are a few good things to know about IVC:
- Our student population exceeds 14,000, and includes international students from over 50 foreign countries.
- 70 associate degree majors and over 60 career and technical certificate programs are available.
- Veterans are welcome. As of Fall 2012, 333 veterans were enrolled as IVC students. In 2013, for the third year in a row, IVC was officially designated as a Military Friendly School.
- We continue to build strong articulation agreements with four-year universities—including transfer admission guarantees, which are the key link in preparing students for transfer to the University of California and California State University campuses (as well as private institutions).
- Our vibrant honors program is a member of the UCLA Transfer Alliance Program. Students certified after completing the IVC honors program are given priority consideration for admission to UCLA.
- We have award-winning chapters of the honor societies Phi Theta Kappa and Psi Beta, and award-winning Speech and Debate, Model United Nations, and Administration of Justice teams. Diverse student clubs thrive on campus.
- IVC competes in 13 men’s and women’s intercollegiate sports. From the inception of the athletics program in 1990 through the spring of 2014, IVC teams have collected 18 state championships and 37 conference titles.
We hope you find that IVC offers flexible course formats and scheduling to meet a variety of needs. We offer full-length and abbreviated semesters, hybrid and distance learning opportunities, as well as instruction during the day, evening, and weekend. In addition, Student Success Centers are offered to provide an array of support and tutoring services that help you succeed, whether your goal is to transfer or to earn a degree or certificate at IVC.
As you explore the college and this catalog, it is my hope that you become more familiar with our programs, academic policies, and support services. Our doors are open to you. Please let us know what you need to succeed.