Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Faculty & Staff
Maps & Directions
FACULTY & STAFF
Irvine Valley College Library:
Search Engines & Subject Directories
Success Starts Here!
General Search Engines
All The Web
- Another very large search engine. Has full Boolean searching, and no stop words, but no proximity operators or truncation.
- Large database, powerful search features (proximity and truncation), international coverage, and foreign language handling.
- A general search engine enhanced by a number of specialty searches including a dictionary, thesaurus, currency converter, encyclopedia, maps, news and more.
- Microsoft engine that focuses on searches related to making a purchase decision, planning a trip, researching a health condition, and finding a local business.
Cuil - Searches a very large index of Web pages and includes thumbnails of sites in its search results.
- Offers concept clustering of results, thumbnail images of retrieved sites, and customization options such as organization of results by file type, geography or modification date
- One of the largest search engines. It uses link analysis to produce highly relevant results, but has only limited Boolean searching, and some automatic word stemming. It does have some interesting search operators. Also check out EcoSmartSearch.com, a Google-powered search engine with a black background display that saves energy.
- A portal with a good general Web search and many other services.
- About.com features a network of nearly 800 credible experts they call "Guides. There goal is to help users solve the large and small needs of everyday life.. "
- Federal Resources for Educational Excellence - teaching and learning resources from dozens of government agencies covering many subjects.
Google Directory - Uses Open Directory Project but is enhanced by Google.
- Well organized access to important university level research and educational tools on the Internet - University of California, Riverside Library
- Annotated collection of high quality Internet resources, selected by IPL staff for their usefulness in providing accurate, factual information on a particular topic or topics.
- The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
WWW Virtual Library
- Oldest catalogue of the Web; widely recognized as being amongst the highest-quality guides to particular sections of the Web.
- Yahoo is one of the oldest search directories.
EOPSCare Book Loan Reviewers
L 101 Calendar
5500 Irvine Center Drive, Irvine, CA 92618
T: 949-451-5100 TTY: 949-451-5785