The Irvine Valley men's tennis team won its second straight match to start the season, beating El Camino, 6-3, in a nonconference match at home on Thursday.
After an easy 9-0 win over San Diego City a week earlier, the Lasers had their work cut out for them against El Camino.
But Coach John Goss' players came through.
"We won it at No. 1 doubles, No. 2 singles and No. 4 singles," Goss said. "Those matches were most important."
IVC captured four of six singles matches and two of three doubles contests. At No. 2 and No. 4 singles, IVC players came back from a set down to win. Freshman Rafael Da Luz defeated Attila Lassu, 5-7, 7-5, 10-3 at the second position and freshman Jaime Roman beat Andy Stier, 2-6, 6-4, 10-8, at No. 4 singles.
Roman was even down 4-0 in the second set before he rallied.
"I think that really turned the momentum of the match in our favor," Goss said of Roman's win.
Laser freshman Azamet Parchiev won, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 5 singles and freshman Theo Braune had no problem at No. 6 singles, winning, 6-1, 6-0. IVC sophomore Lance Dugan was edged at No. 1 singles by Andrew Sarawasi, 4-6, 7-6 (0), 10-5.
In doubles, IVC's top team of Dugan and Parchiev won, 8-6, and the No. 3 team of sophomore Barry Nguyen and Baune came out on top, 8-3. Irvine Valley plays again next Tuesday, hosting Mt. San Antonio at 2 p.m.
1. Andrew Sarawasi (EC) def. Lance Dugan (IVC), 4-6, 7-6 (0), 10-5
2. Rafael Da Luz (IVC) def. Attila Lassu (EC), 5-7, 7-5, 10-3
3. Kevin Nakasone (EC) def. Colby Trinh (IVC), 6-4, 6-1
4. Jaime Roman (IVC) def. Andy Stier (EC), 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Azamet Parchiev (IVC) def. Jake Estrada (EC), 7-5, 6-0
6. Theo Braune (IVC) def. John Cipiti (EC), 6-1, 6-0
1. Dugan/Parchiev (IVC) def. Sarawasi/Lassu (EC), 8-6
2. Stier/Nakasone (EC) def. Da Luz/Roman (IVC), 8-5
3. Barry Nguyen/Braune (IVC) def. Estrada/Cipiti (EC), 8-3