Irvine Valley College Tech Prep Consortium
What is Tech Prep?
- Tech Prep is short for Technical Preparation.
- Tech Prep is a federally funded educational initiative that prepares students for employment in high-skilled technical occupations.
- Tech Prep utilizes a coordinated sequence of instruction, jointly designed by secondary and postsecondary instructors to link high school and postsecondary education.
- Tech Prep emphasizes integration of broad occupational and solid academic skills.
Benefits to Students
- Students earn free college credit toward IVCs certificates and associate degrees while still in high school saving both time and money.
- Students jumpstart their college education with earned college credit.
- Improves job readiness skills, the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to succeed in a high skills, high wage, global economy.
Benefits to the Business Community
- The business community gains a better skilled workforce through a focused educational effort between secondary and postsecondary institutions.
- Businesses participate in the educational process by serving on advisory committees which impact relevant curriculum development.
Benefits to Educational Institutions
- Irvine Valley College benefits by attracting more and better prepared students into their certificate and degree programs.
- IVC and area high schools benefit by developing collaborative relationships among faculty to develop curriculum that is both rigorous and relevant.
What is Articulation?
Articulation is a cooperative effort among Irvine Valley College, area high schools and Regional Occupational Programs (ROPs).
Articulation links high school and RoP classes with certificate and associate degree programs at IVC.
The goal is for students to move from one course, program, or educational level to the next without loss of time or resources.
How Does Articulation Work?
- Articulation agreements are made among area high schools, ROPs, and IVC after the instructors determine that the curriculum is comparable in content and rigor.
- Students are granted college credit for coursework completed in high school when they enroll at Irvine Valley College in an articulated program and satisfy defined academic requirements.
- Word Processing
- Desktop Publishing
- Computer Applications for Windows
- A+Net+Certification Preparation
- Web Site Development
- Computer Graphics
- Careers With Children
- Introduction to Administration of Justice
Prepare for the future by taking articulated classes this year - they count for college!!
The Irvine Valley Tech Prep Consortium includes high school superintendents, principals, counselors and IVCs faculty and staff who help design and provide students with a seamless transition from school to the workplace.
The IVC Tech Prep Consortium enjoys partnerships with the following organizations:
- Irvine Valley College
- Coastline Regional Occupational Program (ROP)
- Vision 2020
- Irvine Unified School District
- Irvine High School
- Woodbridge High School
- Northwood High School
- University High School
- Creekside High School
- Tustin Unified School District