Men's soccer team loses late to Fullerton   

Tags: Athletics, IVCEvents, Soccer-Men

Irvine Valley’s men’s soccer team couldn’t make it three in a row.

The Lasers had their opportunities, especially early on, but fell to Fullerton, 2-1, on a late penalty kick Tuesday afternoon in an Orange Empire Conference match at IVC.

IVC was trying to build on back-to-back wins over Norco and Cypress, which moved its record close to the .500 mark.

But now Irvine Valley has a record of 6-8-2 overall and 3-6-0 in conference.

It was Irvine Valley’s fifth one-goal loss this season and second against Fullerton. The Hornets defeated the Lasers, 1-0, the first time the two teams met.

Irvine Valley pressured from the get-go.

Sophomore Tyler Ortega knocked a volley over the top of the goal from a cross from freshman Fernando Arroyo in the fourth minute. A few seconds later, a hard, low shot by freshman Guillermo Garcia was just wide left of the goal.

Then in the 29th minute, freshman Joe Rousseau took a pass from Garcia, beat a defender in the box and then also dribbled around the goalie before shooting wide left.

Another shot by Rousseau in the 35th minute was saved by Fullerton keeper Eduardo Ramos.

Rousseau did put the Lasers in front in the 39th minute. He took a pass from freshman Jonathan Romero and beat Ramos with a shot. It was the third straight contest that Rousseau scored.

IVC led, 1-0, at halftime.

But Fullerton picked up its pace in the second half.

And the Hornets found the equalizer in the 63rd minute. It started with a corner kick by Misael Samaypa. His corner was flicked inside by Juan Rangel to Trevor Vallo, who finished with a header.

Joe Araiza nearly put Fullerton ahead in the 79th minute when he made a run and got free behind the IVC defense. IVC freshman goalie Wilbur Olivera came charging out and Araiza’s chip went over the top of the goal.

Three minutes later, Fullerton found the game-winner on a penalty kick. Olivera was called for tripping up Samaypa in the box. Samaypa took the penalty kick and scored with a shot to the lower left corner.

IVC tried to push forward in the final minutes, but couldn’t put anything on goal.

Olivera ended up with three saves, while Ramos made two saves for Fullerton.

Irvine Valley plays again on Friday at Orange Coast at 3 p.m.

Posted by  Brent Shaver  on  10/23/2012
 |  Trackback Url  |   Links to this post | Bookmark this post with:        

Links to this post


Marketing, Communications & Broadcast Services

L: Library, Room 205